In my free time, I like to engage in classical ballet. This page shows some pictures of that and highlights some projects along these lines.
For updates, check out my instagram page, in which I dance around the world.
- in 2018 I started an interdisciplinary arts-science collaboration with Random Collision, to investigate the nature of human connectedness with inter-brain synchrony and dance.
- in 2014, I participated in a cross-media dance project: Unblocked Project in which
we explored the potentialities of the human body and mind that can be
explored through movement.
- Several other dance pieces I have done include Bluebird, Aurora’s variation, Giselle, a piece choreographed to one of Milarepa’s poems Mind, and a piece I choreographed for my sister: For my sister
- In 2007, when I lived in Philadelphia, I choreographed and performed in a new age musical named Planet Discord
- I have also worked with a photographer (Craig Rothfuss) on
some dance pictures:
- In Groningen, Sander Martens did a very nice photoshoot of my class.
- In April 2018 we danced for the king of the Netherlands with Wanda Kuiper ballet. You can spot some footage here at 1:26:00
Some classes I recommend in the various places I have lived:
- Princeton: Princeton Ballet School
with Mary Barton, Laurie Abramson and Douglas Martin
- Philadelphia: Kip Martin from Symmetry Dancewellness specialises in teaching adults and explaining the rich theory behind all movements and exact muscles that are used.
- Sacha Boitsov provides some authentic Russian classes, and his students have gone on to dance at prestigious companies such as American Ballet Theatre.
- In Groningen, I am very happy to be dancing at Wanda Kuiper, where you can take many serious adult classes each week.
- My favourite school in Amsterdam is Zhembrovskyy
Ballet School, which offers excellent Vaganova-style classes,
including pointe, and taught by current and former dancers of Dutch National Ballet
- When I am dancing back in my hometown Almere, I go to Balletschool Almere, a
very cosy and lovely ballet school, dedicated to the love for dancing.
- Sat July 6th: performance at Zhembrovskyy
- Feb-May 2018: Moving Futures tour Notes on Synchrony (won’t be dancing myself in that case but participating as scientist)